These are to die for! Low carb/keto friendly and yet you will feel like you are indulging. Definitely be picky with the mushrooms you choose and make sure they are big enough and deep enough to fit a good amount of “stuffing” in them.
- 6 oz thin sliced steak, cut up in to small pieces (carne asada works well!)
- 1/8 tsp pink Himalayan or sea salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- Butter (for sautéing the veggies)
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 3/4 cup diced green pepper
- 1/4 cup full fat sour cream
- 2 Tbsp mayonnaise (go for olive oil or avocado oil based …no canola oil!)
- 2 oz full fat cream cheese
- 3 oz shredded provolone cheese
- 4 medium to large Portobello mushrooms
Preheat the oven to 400F. Grease the bottom of a casserole dish with butter.
Remove the stems and gills from the mushrooms and brush melted butter on the tops and bottoms of each of them. Season with salt and pepper. Place in the casserole dish and into the oven for a few minutes to pre cook, then remove and set aside.
Mix the sour cream, mayonnaise, cream cheese and provolone cheese together in a medium sized bowl and set aside.
Salt and pepper the steak on both sides.
Heat a large skillet to high, melt a spoonful of butter and, when the pan is very hot, cook the steak high 1-1.5 minutes on each side until cooked through.
Transfer steak to cutting board and slice and then cut into small pieces (you can leave it in thin strips but it works better in the mushroom in small pieces).
Reduce heat to medium-low, add more butter to the skillet and sauté the onion and peppers for a few minutes (until they start to soften).
Add the chopped steak and sautéed veggies to the bowl of cheese mixture and combine well.
Scoop the mixture into mushroom caps, dividing evenly.
Bake 15-20 minutes, or until cheese is melty and the mushrooms tender.
Garnish with chives or whatever your heart desires!