I first made a batch of homemade bone broth for the base of this soup. If you’ve never made bone broth…it’s a must! Not only is it super tasty, but bone broth is one of the best foods you can have in terms of it’s nutrient density and it’s healing properties!
The benefits of bone broth are MANY!
- Boosts immunity
- Great for gut health & gut repair (think leaky gut)
- Fights systemic inflammation
- Promotes weight loss
- Good source of Electrolytes which are essential for good health!
- Boosts mood due to influence on the microbiome
- Supports insulin regulation
- much more…
It is chalked FULL of micronutrients, minerals, good healthy fat, & restorative amino acids such as glycine, alanine, proline, and hydroxyproline in the gelatin. It’s super easy to make but there are also a lot of good bone broth on the market these days.
If you buy yours be sure it’s from grass fed, no hormone, no antibiotic sources like ours!! Toxins are stored in fat and bones and then released as they are cooked and consumed so it is critical you pay attention to this detail!
I just kind of tossed mine together. Here’s what I used: a whole onion, 2 garlic cloves, a bunch of rosemary, sea salt, ground pepper, red wine (Pinot Noir due to the high levels of Resveratrol) NOTE: the alcohol burns off so it’s just the flavor and it’s amazing!
To really get the nutrients out of the bones its important to slow cook them for 12-24 hours! Also, it’s typically important to use apple cider vinegar in bone broth to help draw the nutrients out of the bones. However, I used wine instead.
Now of the ITALIAN WEDDING SOUP!
- 1 lb. ground turkey or beef (I used our grass fed beef)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil (I used one drop of basil essential oil!)
- 8 cups broth (I used my bone broth of course!)
- 1/4 cup sliced baby carrots
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 6 oz. bag fresh baby spinach
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- Salt & pepper to taste after cooking